Translation of documents

Spousal sponsorship (outside Canada)
Federal Skilled Worker Program

Translation of documents

Any document that is not in English or French must be accompanied by:

  • the English or French translation; and
  • an affidavit from the person who completed the translation; and
  • a certified copy of the original document.

Note: An affidavit is a document on which the translator has sworn, in the presence of a commissioner authorized to administer oaths in the country in which the translator is living, that the contents of their translation are a true translation and representation of the contents of the original document. Translators who are certified members in good standing of one of the provincial or territorial organizations of translators and interpreters of Canada do not need to supply an affidavit.

Important information. Translations by family members are not acceptable.

Certified true copies

To have a photocopy of a document certified, an authorized person must compare the original document to the photocopy and must print the following on the photocopy:

  • “I certify that this is a true copy of the original document”,
  • the name of the original document,
  • the date of the certification,
  • his or her name,
  • his or her official position or title, and
  • his or her signature.

Who can certify copies?

Persons authorized to certify copies include the following:

In Canada:

  • a commissioner of oaths
  • a notary public
  • a justice of the peace

Outside Canada:

  • a judge
  • a magistrate
  • a notary public
  • an officer of a court of justice
  • a commissioner authorized to administer oaths in the country in which the person is living

Family members may not certify copies of your documents.

Translation of documents for overseas applications  

12.2. Policy  

There is no requirement that translated documents submitted by clients living outside Canada be "sworn translations" if the documents have been verified by an Embassy official. The translation may be done by the client, a relative or a friend provided that the document is verified by an Embassy official. The Embassy may accept translated documents in plain English or French if it is willing and capable of verifying the documents. 


Upon receipt of the translated English or French documents, an Embassy official must:  

  • thoroughly review the translation to verify that its content conforms to the original document upon which the translation was based;  
  • affix a stamp (or write) "VERIFIED – TRUE TRANSLATION" and the Embassy wet seal on the document; and  
  • initial the document. 

Milorad Borota,
Dec 8, 2012, 12:56 PM