Immigration news‎ > ‎

Mind your language or leave Canada

posted Apr 22, 2012, 1:30 PM by Milorad Borota   [ updated Apr 22, 2012, 1:30 PM ]
By Tom Godfrey ,Toronto Sun
First posted: Saturday, April 21, 2012 05:46 PM EDT | Updated: Saturday, April 21, 2012 06:15 PM EDT

Starting in July, those deemed by Canadian immigration authorities as low skilled workers under a Provincial Nominee Program are required to take and pass English reading, writing, speaking and listening tests.

Only then can they can obtain or renew their visa or become permanent residents of Canada.

The three-hour $255 test is required for seasonal farm workers, those in the construction trades, fast food, hospitality and many other low-paying jobs that Canadians won’t perform.

“I am from an English-speaking country and I still failed,” Gobay said. “I cannot become a permanent resident or citizen until I pass this test.”

Gobay said a pass means he can move up the ladder to become a race-day jockey and earn more money.

Read the whole article...